Friday 19 November 2010

The Spine

During my three years professional training I have not had many injuries, however I have had problems with my lower back on certain occasions. I felt it would be beneficial for me to research how back injuries can occur (in case I can do anything to prevent myself from getting injuries) and ways in which they can be treated. Back pains can cause severe discomfort to the person who is suffering with them and everyday activities are a struggle.


Research and information on the spine:

The spine is made up of 24 vertebrae and 110 joints. It is split into 3 sections: cervical, dorsal/thoracic, lumbar. The cervical section is made up of 7vertabrae it is the ‘neck section’ is the most mobile and is found at the top of the spine. The thoracic/dorsal section is made of 12 vertebrae, each are attached to an individual rib on each side. Below this is the lumbar section. (There is less mobility the further down the spine). Below the lumbar section is a diamond shaped sacrum which is sometimes described as ‘locking like a key stone into the pelvis’. The joints between the rest of the pelvis and either side of the sacrum are called the sacroiliac joints.
The ‘cervical vertebra’ are at the very top of the vertebral column (upper seven). The first of the cervical vertebra is the atlas, it bears the weight of the skull. The second is called the ‘axis’, it allows the rotation of the skull by letting the atlas pivot upon it. The 5 below are not given individual names; however they are called by their number (e.g. fifth cervical vertebra).

Some well known factors that contribute to low back pain include:
·                        Poor conditioning
·                        Obesity
·                        Smoking
·                        Improper use

To help strengthen my back I did different exercises including the ones below: These were given to my the physiotherapist at Arts Educational School when i had back problems.

Exercise 1:

I lay face-down on the floor with my feet extended straight behind me. I lifted my head and arched my back while supporting my upper body with my arms. Locking your elbows straight and keeping your hands by your side will accentuate the stretch, however I was advised to keep my arms bent so I did not put too much pressure on my lower back when it was sore.

Exercise 2:

To stretch the muscles that rotate your back,: I started by sitting comfortably and turning my shoulders to one direction and holding in it in this position. Sitting on an exercise ball helped me perform this stretch comfortably. However the range of movement was limited when I first started

Exercise 3:

Pelvic tilts, lie on my back with my knees at an angle towards the roof. I had to slowly raise my pelvis into a lower back curl on the floor and then lower down working threw each vertebra. It takes 8 counts to roll up and 8 to roll down. (breath out on the way down to relax the muscles)

Exercise 4:

Same exercise as exercise 3 however place therapy balls underneath the lower back, (the balls have to be close together running along the side of the spine.)

1 comment:

  1. This is hard to read in parts - green on green does not work so well. Also, you should indicate if you are getting what you say from another source ...but thanks for the post. It sounds as if this topic is of interest to you and perhaps you want to develop your knowledge about this as the programme develops?

    ReplyDelete